The Gay and Lesbian Coalition of Kenya – GALCK, an LGBTI Rights and Welfare organization, is looking for members of the LGBTI community to set up a committee for the Income Generating Committee [IGA] which will seek to find individuals from the LGBTI community to aid in enhancing empowerment programmes within the community.
Mandate of the IGA Committee
The purpose for the committee will be to look through the IGA applications and give recommendations on the application leading to empowerment programmes. The Committee provides an opportunity to offer your knowledge, volunteer time and expertise to support the development and empowerment of the LGBTI community in Kenya.
The IGA Committee will be made up of maximum 9 people who:
- · Have a track record of work on sexual health and rights on LGBTI health and rights
- · Are a part of the community of Kenyan LGBTI community but not too involved due to conflict of interest.
- · Come from diverse professional and activist backgrounds
- · Knowledge of and/or professional experience in the Kenyan LGBTI scenario and experiences of LGBTI persons in Kenya.
- · Are deemed credible and trustworthy in the eyes of their peers
- · Have easy access to email and telephone communication
The IGA Committee members are expected to:
- · Actively participate in the review of the IGA applications received through various modes such as email, face to face talks and any other mode necessary.
- · Share their knowledge and expertise with other members of the IGA committee and with GALCK staff to enhance the communication between the beneficiaries and the staff.
- · Offer their time for IGA applications review and ad hoc technical advice and assistance on a voluntary basis.
- · Sign and comply with conflict of interest, confidentiality, and ethical requirements
Office Contacts: Landline: (+254) 20 242 60 60
As part of your involvement, GALCK will:
- · Support Communication costs related to participation in the Committee and technical assistance.
- · Ensure that you are adequately briefed on activities of GALCK and receive review materials in a timely manner.
Skills, Knowledge and Attributes
- · Ability to work well under pressure and deliver on tight deadlines
- · Confidence to deal with people and to handle possibly stressful and difficult situations including meetings with the Media, and or non-LGBTI friendly people.
- · Ability to work effectively as a member of a team, providing support to others as and when necessary
- · Good time management skills – ability to prioritize workloads and to plan ahead in order to meet deadlines
- · The ability to maintain confidentiality, act with diplomacy, tact and discretion at all times
How to Apply
1. Your full name and organization [if you are in one]:
2. Town of residence:
3. Contact information (email, telephone):
4. Languages you can read, write and speak:
5. Brief (400 word) description of what skills and knowledge the nominee would bring to
the GALCK IGA Committee:
The deadline for application is 24th February 2012. Office Contacts: Landline: (+254) 20 242 60 60