Date: 15th January 2021
Opportunity: Communication and Advocacy Officer
Accepting Applications from 15th January 2021– 29th January 2021
The Gay and Lesbian Coalition of Kenya (GALCK) is the national umbrella body for 16 organizations advocating for sexual orientation gender identity and expression (SOGIE) issues in Kenya. Together, we envision a safe and enabling environment for SOGIE organizations and individuals.
GALCK is looking for a self-motivated individual to join the Secretariat. Reporting to the Executive Coordinator, the Communications and Advocacy Officeris responsible for the review, development, execution and oversight of GALCK’s online and offline operational and strategic communications strategy. The C&A Officer, working in close consultation with GALCK personnel, member organisations, partners, and allies, ensures that GALCK is viewed as a balanced source, disseminator, and conduit of pertinent information within its diverse network and constituent base. The goal is to contribute to increased visibility of GALCK’s work and results, and to effective advocacy for GALCK’s vision.
- Social media management
- Source, draft, produce and disseminate high quality, timely and regular communications and visibility work product including press releases, blog posts, social media content, audiovisual clips and photos, newsletters, annual reports, and other information, education and communication materials that will help amplify GALCK’s work and achievements;
- Innovatively leverage GALCK’s dissemination tools and channels including the website, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram social media platforms, E-Bulletin and paid print media slots to strengthen proactive and cost-effective dissemination strategies;
- Track analytics and create reports detailing successes and failures of communications campaigns.
- Internal communication management
- Work with Secretariat members to conceptualize and implement communications strategies and campaigns;
- Liaise with consultants, such as web developers, product designers, translators etc. to ensure they deliver on time and in compliance with contractual obligations;
- Ensure that GALCK’s internal and external communications approaches are aligned to the Communications and Digital Security Policies;
- Maintain functioning communication connections between the Secretariat and member organisations, partners and allies;
- Identify and resolve communication challenges and emerging issues and develop escalation protocols for managing communication crises, should they arise;
- External communication management
- Prepare spokespersons for interviews or in-person media engagements;
- Bring partnership network members onto the same page through careful coordination, relationship management and message alignment;
- Identify strategic moments and opportunities, and new champions to influence target stakeholders and amplify GALCK’s goals and objectives;
- Elevate the voice and expertise of influencers and champions by supporting the development, and polishing up of talking points and opinion pieces and provide ongoing guidance and support;
- Get partners, influencers and decision-makers in the same place by overseeing high-profile events, including identifying invitees and speakers, and developing agendas or presentations.
- Maintain an accessible digital media archive of all work product including photos and videos;
- Maintain up-to-date mailing lists and manage GALCK domain’s listservs for optimum functionality at all times.
- Media Liaison
- Develop, and maintain excellent working relationships with a wide range of journalists and media houses, including bloggers and relevant social media influencers;
- Leverage those relationships and respond to media inquiries so that GALCK’s efforts receive the best coverage for advancing their goals;
- Maintain and update a database with all the relevant media contacts
- A Bachelor’s degree or higher in either Journalism, Communications, Public relations or any related field.
- At least three years’ demonstrable experience in working in a communications and advocacy.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and commitment to human rights and social justice, particularly knowledge and experience of LGBTIQ rights.
- Experience with social media management.
- Strong communication skills both written and verbal in English and Swahili.
- Excellent critical thinking skills and the ability to exercise good judgment and solve problems quickly and effectively.
- Sensitivity, flexibility, and ability to communicate clearly and effectively with people from diverse cultures and backgrounds.
Terms and conditions:
This position is long-term with compensation that is negotiable and commensurate with level of experience and expertise.
GALCK is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on any basis.
To apply please submit:
- A cover letter describing why you are interested in the position and why you are the ideal candidate for this position.
- Your CV.
- Details of current salary or salary expectations.
Send your application documents to email@example.com with Communication and Advocacy Officer as the subject heading. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.