Job Title: Finance and Administration Officer
Organisation: Initiative for Equality and Non Discrimination (INEND)
Duty Station: Mombasa, Kenya
Reports to: Executive Director
The Initiative for Equality and Non Discrimination (INEND) is a local not-for-profit organisation that researches and undertakes strategic actions towards equality, acceptance and inclusion in the Coast Region of Kenya. We share experiences and collaborate with other stakeholders in an effort to contribute towards tolerance, non-discrimination, acceptance and inclusion of sexual and gender minorities (SGMs).
INEND recognises the universality of human rights in the pursuit of democracy through the participation of everyone in an open, just and democratic society. In the current context however, many sexual and gender minorities have not had the opportunity to engage openly due to laws, policies and attitudes which criminalise activities and people, even beyond what is provided for in existing laws. These in turn, have resulted in threats, insecurity and harassment and thus sexual and gender minorities, who are seen to not be conforming with societal norms, have been forced to operate underground and under high risk, merely because of their sexual orientation and/or gender identity.
Job Summary: To support fundraising team, to endure excellent recording, controlling and administration of financial data and ensure the smooth running of the office.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Analyze and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate monthly and annual financial statements; collate financial reporting materials for all donor segments, and oversee all financial, project/program and grants accounting.
- Coordinate and lead the annual audit process, liaise with external auditors and the finance committee of the board of directors; assess any changes necessary.
- Oversee and lead annual budgeting and planning process in conjunction with the ED; administer and review all financial plans and budgets; monitor progress and changes; and keep senior leadership team abreast of the organization’s financial status.
- Manage organizational cash flow and forecasting.
- Implement a robust contracts management and financial management/ reporting
- system; ensure that the contract billing and collection schedule is adhered to and that financial data and cash flow are steady and support operational requirements.
- Effectively communicate and present the critical financial matters to the board of directors.
- Record, reconciliation, tracking and banking of all grants and transactions.
- Check, process and record all payments, administer invoices and expenses, claims received, code items to agreed budgets, and action payments.
- Reconcile transactions on computer and bank statements and ensure that all accounts balance.
- Maintain proper records for all the above on computer book-keeping package (Quickbooks) and filing of all relevant paperwork.
- Maintaining Policies, Procedures and Records
- Maintaining staff and volunteer training records. General Administration
- Undertake general admin tasks under the direction of the Executive Director
- Numerate and proficiency in using Quick books finance administration software package.
- Good interpersonal, communication skills and IT literate.
- Direct hands on experience of finance and administration roles.
- Excellent organization skills- able to manage themselves and others effectively.
- Comfortable working with others and on their own.
- Ability to work with variety of people including volunteers and interns.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting and/or Finance with a minimum of Certified Public Accountant (CPAII)
- At least 3 years’ experience of working in finance, administration and/or procurement in a relevant field in C.B.O, NGOs or INGOs.
- A Masters Dergree in a relevant field would be an added advantage.
- Sound knowledge of accounting procedures and principles familiarity with labour Laws
- Excellent skills of operating Microsoft word and excel spreadsheet.
- Experience of using accounting software, Quick books and payroll preparation.
- Fluency in English and Swahili (written and spoken).
- A positive problem-solving approach.
- Good interpersonal and team-working skills.
- A willingness to promote the work of INEND and develop collaborative work with others.
- A commitment to working in a non-partisan manner.
- A commitment to learn and be open for new ideas and approaches.
Female applicants, applicants from marginalized groups and applicants with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Interested candidates are requested to submit the following documents:
- A cover letter
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Contact details for two (2) referees.
- Current salary and salary expectation.
We will not be able to notify all applicants unless they are shortlisted. Please email your application to: email@example.com by 10th March 2017.