Ishtar MSM is a community based organization that advances sexual health rights of men that have sex with men to reduce the stigma and discrimination aligned with them by creating awareness with the aim of advocating for their rights to access health care, including STI/HIV and AIDS related care and treatment. Ishtar-MSM is a member group of The Gay & Lesbian Coalition of Kenya (GALCK).
Ishtar MSM is looking for a dynamic, result-oriented individual to take up the position of Clinical Officer. The clinical officer will be based at the Ishtar Wellness Centre and will report to the program officer. The clinical officer will be ensuring excellent standards and quality clinical care is provided to all clients and effective referrals and linkages made. The Ishtar Wellness Centre prides itself as a safe and MSM/MSW friendly centre which is responsive to the needs of beneficiaries.
Specifically, the Clinical officer will be:
- Examining, diagnosing, treating and counseling target groups at the Ishtar Wellness
- Centre and during outreaches.
- Managing sexually transmitted infections (STIs) among MSM and male sex workers
- and the community members with whom they interact. This shall be done in
- accordance with the national guidelines provided by the Ministry of Health or other
- relevant Ministries.
- Ensuring effective use of syndrome approach to manage STIs and other common
- illnesses. Screening for Tuberculosis (TB) among the clients.
- Treating of some of the opportunistic infections (OIs) as well as refer the complicated
- conditions to an MSM friendly Referral Centre.
- Developing proper medical records inclusive of HIV testing services for the clients
- who have been served at the Ishtar Wellness Centre and ensure follow up.
- Providing health education and counseling to the key populations
- Preparing and submitting clinical reports as per the required timelines.
- Any other duties, which may be assigned by the supervisor
- Diploma in Clinical Medicine and Surgery from a recognized institution of learning.
- The applicant must be registered by Clinical Officers’ Council of Kenya
- A Degree in Clinical Medicine or Social sciences will be an added Advantage.
- Over 1 years’ experience in a reputable health institution/facility
- Strong personality with good leadership skills
- Ability to document and prepare timely reports
- Excellent inter-personal, negotiation and communication skills
- Proficient in English, Kiswahili and other local languages
- IT literate (Word, Excel and internet)
- Able to work with the LGBTI community
Terms and Conditions
Ishtar MSM will offer competitive salary and benefits commensurate with experience and ability. Ishtar MSM is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on any basis including ethnicity, physical ability, age, gender identity and sexual orientation.
To apply for the position, please submit the following documents:
- A one-page cover letter describing why you are interested in the position and why you are the ideal candidate for this position and your salary expectations.
- Your CV
- Day time telephone number
Send your application documents via email to email@example.com with Clinical Officer as the subject line. The Short-listed applicants will be contacted. Conversing with Ishtar Staff will lead to immediate disqualification. Applicants need to be able to start immediately.