Minority Women in Action (MWA)
Minority Women in Action was formed in the year 2006, following a conference organized by Urgent Action Fund and partners that brought together Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender and Intersex (LGBTI) individuals in East Africa. During this conference, many of the women realized that despite the overwhelming representation of SOGIE issues from organisations, Lesbian, Bisexual and Queer (LBQ) women issues were highly ignored. This called for the formation of an organization that specifically catered for the needs and rights of Lesbian, Bisexual and Queer women in Kenya.
Mission: to ensure that LBQ women have: full rights over their self and body, the right to self-accomplishment, full and equal protection of the law and real freedom from discrimination and violence.
Vision: Guided by a feminist principle MWA envisions a country free of oppressive and discriminative laws again Lesbian, Bisexual, Queer (LBQ) women; and a society free of lesbophobia, biphobia, transphobia and homophobia.
Minority Women in Action focus areas include,
- Capacity strengthening and empowerment
- Sexual health and Mental health
Which are met through;
- Promoting a progressive women development agenda
- Trainings on feminist leadership/organizational management,
- Engaging in research programs and initiatives where LBQ women issues are produced and made visible through debate and discussion.
- Creation of safe spaces where LBQ women engage with each other in their different capacities e.g. business women, scholars, artists with the intention to build each other through training and mentorship opportunities.
- Partnering with other organizations within the women’s and human rights movement.
Copyright © 2016
The Gay and Lesbian Coalition of Kenya. All rights reserved