Q-Initiative Eldoret was founded in 2010 by Lesbian, Gay and Bisexual students from Moi University who wanted to create a safe space for queer youth to convene and discuss their issues.
It was registered as a community-based organization in August 2011 and became a member organization of GALCK in August 2012. Q-Initiative has since grown beyond Moi University reach and now works with LGB youth from all over Eldoret and its environs.
Mission: To provide a transparent, membership driven, empowered and inclusive space for the LGBT community.
Vision: An empowered and informed Lesbian, Gay and Bisexual Youth.
Q-Initiatives areas of work and interests include;
- Creating safe spaces for LGB youth to thrive through social networking. We use the cluster model to bring members together, and create awareness of Q-I to the LGB population
- Providing education (health, civic and sexuality education) creating awareness by holding sensitivity trainings to the public/interested parties on LGB issues.
- Promoting positive health seeking behaviour through quarterly health outreaches as well as regular community outreaches through Sexual Reproductive Health promotion, HIV/STIs prevention and management and provision of prevention commodities.
- Upholding the human rights and Sexual Reproductive Health Rights of LGB persons as well as their security.
- Seeking of providing empowerment/growth opportunities for the LGB youth through entrepreneurship training, table banking and so on.
Copyright © 2016
The Gay and Lesbian Coalition of Kenya. All rights reserved