The Gay and Lesbian Coalition of Kenya is the National umbrella body for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Queer organisations in Kenya. As a coalition, GALCK purposes to ensure a safe and enabling environment for LGBQ serving organisations and individuals in Kenya.
About the Governing Body
GALCK’s Governing Body governs GALCK and has fiduciary responsibility over the organisation. This means that the Governing Body must ensure that the Coalition fulfills its mission and goals. The Governing Body accomplishes this oversight and monitoring function by keeping well informed about the activities of GALCK, and by making decisions to guide GALCK to success. The governing body also authorises changes to policy.
We seek five members with good knowledge of the civil society landscape and how to navigate difficult and highly restricted political and civil spaces. The Governing Body will have one (1) ex-officio member who serves as Secretary to the Governing Body and Executive Coordinator of GALCK.
Whilst the Governing Body governs GALCK, a Secretariat, based in Nairobi, implements programming.
The GALCK Governing Body is bound to a strict conflict of interest policy.
Key Responsibilities of GALCK’s Governing Body
- Provide GALCK with effective strategic oversight through development review of our strategic plan.
- Provide governance to GALCK to ensure we meet our mission and goals, including by approval of year work plans and budgets, progress and financial reports and institutional policies.
- Appoint auditors, the Company Secretary and approve programme and financial audits.
- Oversee the Executive Coordinator and provide supervision, yearly appraisal and support.
- Attend all Board meetings, and virtual Board briefings held regularly.
- Engage in, where feasible and as appropriate, in key GALCK events such as the Members Forum.
- Adhere to GALCK’s confidentiality and conflict of interest policies.
The ideal candidates will:
- Be Kenyan nationals or residents;
- Demonstrate strong understanding of and commitment to human rights and social justice;
- Possess excellent knowledge on and analysis of sexual and gender diversity and expression;
- Come from various activist and professional backgrounds.
- Intellectual leadership, based on knowledge and experience of SOGI, Human Rights and/or development finance issues.
- Demonstrated capability to apply sound political judgment and strategic thinking to complex problems as they relate to effective leadership of institutions.
- Communication and advocacy skills that can be applied to decision-makers at the highest level, including ministers, religious entities and heads of other SOGI, Human Rights and development finance agencies.
- Sensitivity to the political and cultural environment which Kenyan SOGIE people navigate.
- A passion for the mission and work of the GALCK.
Terms of Service
Governing Body membership is voluntary, for a term of 3 years, renewable twice. All costs related to attending Governing Body meetings and carrying out Governing Body responsibilities (including travel) are covered by GALCK.
This call for applications will close on Thursday 5th July, 2018.
Face-to-face interviews are scheduled to commence from Saturday 14th and Sunday 15th July, 2018.
How to Apply?
Please email your CV and a letter of interest, to email@example.com describing your interests, skills and background by using the reference “GALCK Governing Body” when you write.