Job title: Member, Tamba Pwani Board
Line Manager title: Chairperson of board
Time Commitment: Not likely to be less than 20 days a year on board and committee meetings, plus additional time spent on representational duties.
Direct Reports: None
Remuneration: Not Applicable – This is a voluntary position
Location: Flexible with occasional travel for board meetings.
Members of the Board will oversee the strategy, policy, resource mobilisation and direction of Tamba Pwani, and so assist with the achievement of the organisation’s mission and objectives. This will include active participation in the Board and its committees, performing non-executive duties, and exercising the powers and functions, which the Board may assign to the Board Member.
- Understand and demonstrate a commitment to Tamba Pwani’s vision, mission, objectives, and operations, and keep up to date with issues and trends that may affect the organisation.
- Through regular engagement with Tamba Pwani’s stakeholders, understand the context in which Tamba Pwani and its development partners operate, in particular, appreciate the strategic role of the Tamba Pwani Board and the public interest in the effective use of development assistance.
- Undertake representational duties as necessary including participating in key strategic events and engaging with senior donor officials and key stakeholders.
- Actively participate in Board and designated Board committee meetings including preparing for these meetings by studying documents, agreements and other papers provided.
- Review Tamba Pwani Strategy, Tamba Pwani policies and ensure that Tamba Pwani operates in a manner that is consistent with the Tamba Pwani Constitution, and applicable legal and regulatory requirements.
- Ensure the effective management of Tamba Pwani’s risk profile.
- Accept fiduciary and other responsibilities as required by NGO’s legislation.
- Understand and monitor the organisation’s financial affairs, including adoption and oversight of annual budgets.
- Work with Tamba Pwani’s Executive Director and management to identify new funding opportunities in support of Tamba Pwani’s strategy.
- Establish and maintain an effective, independent and respected presence and a collegial relationship with other Board Members.
- Maintain objectivity and independence, be aware of and avoid any potential conflict of interest, and maintain confidentiality of information.
- Monitor the performance of the Tamba Pwani management team, their execution of strategy, policies and plans and management of resources. Direct line management responsibilities will be as follows:
- In the case of the Chair of the Board, overall management of the Executive Director.
- In the case of the Chair of the Audit, Finance & Risk Committee, line management of the financial operations of the organisation.
Academic and Professional Experience
- Academic and/or professional qualification in the following areas would be an added advantage:
- Civil society sector development
- Finance, audit, and accountancy
- Human resources
- Previous experience of Board membership is required.
- A minimum of 5 years’ management experience (including five at a Senior level) in an area relevant to Tamba Pwani’s operations
- Significant work experience with LGBTQ Communities and in a national multicultural environment.
- Proven intellectual and strategic thinking skills.
- Strong strategy formulation and implementation skills including the ability to communicate strategy and results concisely and simply.
- Excellent leadership and management skills.
- Ability to establish and maintain strong collaborative partnerships/relationships with development partners, high-ranking government officials, civil society and private sector organisations.
- Adept at working with diverse teams, delivering change and demonstrating value for money.
- Ability to influence others to achieve objectives and gain consensus and collaboration.
- Sound decision-making and judgment capabilities.
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills.
- Excellent presentation, communication and personal effectiveness skills.
- Tamba Pwani will reimburse all reasonable and properly documented expenses incurred in the performance of official duties in accordance with approved organisational policies. This will include the cost of travel for attendance to meetings, accommodation on a bed and breakfast basis and provide a per diem to cover meals and other incidental expenses.
- Detailed terms and conditions of service will be provided in the contract.
- Board meetings will be held quarterly and committee meetings will be held in conjunction with full Board meetings as required.
- The performance of Board Members shall be reviewed by the Board on an annual basis.
Tamba Pwani is pleased to announce the vacancy of board members, kindly submit your interest to firstname.lastname@example.org by 20th July 2019 at 12:00 AM.